Go to navigation

Gaming Machine Permits for alcohol licensed premises

Only licensed premises can provide gaming machines outside of licensed Gambling Premises.  Please be aware that you must hold a permit with the Council and be registered with HMRC for Machine Games Duty.

Types of Permits

Notification of two or less Gaming Machines

For one or two machines you should notify Medway Council Licensing Unit that you intend to take advantage of the automatic entitlement under the Gambling Act. You will need to:

  • complete an application form notification (pdf 568KB)
  • send a one-off of £50 (no annual fees).

Please note: Notification of two or less gaming machines can not be transferred to another person/company.  These are a one-off approval for the premises licence holder (licensee) to provide gaming machines on the premises and expiry at the time that the premises licence holder leaves the premises.

To download this pdf and others like it you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, please use our advice page.

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit (three or more machines)

For three or more machines you will need to apply to Medway Council Licensing Unit for a licensed premises gaming machine permit. You will need to:

  • complete an application form permit (pdf 586KB)
  • send a fee of £150. 30 days after the initial grant date of your permit you will need to pay the first annual fee of £50.

Transfer the Premises Licence Holder under the Licensing Act

If at any time you change the premises licence holder at the premises you will also need to apply for a permit for the gaming machines. Depending on the number of machines you wish to offer will depend on two procedures.

Procedure 1

If the previous owners have already applied and have got a licensed premises gaming machine permit you will need to put in for a transfer of that permit.

Procedure 2

If the previous owners had a notification of two or less machines then you will still need to re-apply for a new notification (as these are one-off relevant to the the premises licence holder only).

Variation of a Licensed Premises Machine Permit

If at anytime you wish to increase the number of machines on the premises, you will need to:

  • complete an application form variation (pdf 586KB);
  • send a fee of £100.  

Transfer of a Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit

Whenever the Premises Licence Holder (who holds the Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003) changes, you will need to apply to transfer the Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit. You will need to:

  • complete an application form transfer (pdf 586KB);
  • send a fee of £25.

Duration of Permit

This will be of unlimited duration. Once you have it, you will not need to apply again, unless your circumstances change.

Failure to pay the annual fee may result in cancellation of the permit and any future applications will be as a new operator.

Machine Games Duty

Machine Games Duty (MGD) was introduced on 1 February 2013.  It has replaced Amusement Machine Licence Duty (AMLD).  Please contact HMRC for further information

Machine Requirements

The premises must be licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises, without the requirement that alcohol is served only with food and there must be a bar for serving alcohol to customers on the premises. The gaming machines must be sited within the licensed area.

The Gambling Act 2005 provides for two types of gaming machines which can be located in alcohol licensed premises. These are:

  • Category C - maximum stake = £1 / maximum prize = £100
  • Category D – Depends on the type of machine

Category D

  • Category D - non-money prize (other than crane grabe machines) - maximum stake = 30 pence / maximum prize £8
  • Category D - non-money prize (crane grave machine) - maximum stake = £1 / maximum prize £50
  • Category D - money prize - maximum state = 10 pence / maximum prize £5
  • Category D - combined money and non-money prize (other than coin pusher or penny falls machines) - maximum stake 10 pence / maximum prize £8 (of which no more than £5 may be a money prize)
  • Category D - combined money and non-money prize (coin pusher or penny falls machine) - maximum stake 20 pence / maximum prize £20 (of which no more than £10 may be a money prize.

All alcohol licensed premises that provide gaming machines for use on the premises must comply with any relevant Code of Practice issued by the Gambling Commission under Section 24 of the Gambling Act 2005.

Making sure gaming machines are fair and open

All machine manufactures, suppliers etc. are required to comply with the Commission’s Technical Standards.

As part of those standards:

  • Machines must display information about help available to problem gamblers
  • Customers will only be able to play one game at a time and the speed of play on any game will be restricted
  • Manufacturers must not make machines (other than category D machines) specifically attractive to children and young people
  • Gaming machines must display information on the machine, including the nature of the machine, stake and prize levels and percentage return to the player
  • In the case of a dispute between the operator and a customer, gaming machines must allow the operator to track the history of previous games played on the machine
  • Gaming machines will be required to undergo certain tests to ensure that they are fair and open before they are put on the market. The nature of these tests will vary according to the category of the machine


For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR