There is a vast amount of legislation relating to the licensing and enforcement of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire functions.
The two main Acts of Parliament are the:
We have a responsibility to licence vehicles, drivers and operators that provide a transport service (for up to eight passengers) for hire and reward.
The relevant licences are:
- Hackney Carriage vehicle
- Hackney Carriage driver
- Private Hire vehicle
- Private Hire driver
- Licensed vehicles and drivers
The main similarity between Hackney Carriages and Private Hire vehicles is that both provide a transport service to members of the public to a specific destination upon request for payment of a fare. The difference is that a Hackney Carriage can be hailed by prospective passengers and can park at taxi ranks to gain trade but a Private Hire vehicle can only deal with booked fares.
We have set the fees for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles, drivers and operators.
All licences must be issued by the council in the area where the provision for booking is made.
All drivers and owners of vehicles currently licensed with Medway Council should refer to the Taxi Policy.
- Taxi Policy
- Vehicle Specification: Appendix A
- Hackney Carriage vehicle conditions: Appendix B
- Private Hire vehicle conditions: Appendix C
- Fire extinguishers: Appendix D
- Flags and adverts: Appendix E
- Application procedures: Appendix F
- Relevance of convictions: Appendix G
- Hackney Carriage byelaws: Appendix H
- Hackney Carriage driver licence conditions: Appendix I
- Private Hire driver licence conditions: Appendix J
- Code of good conduct: Appendix K
- Dress code and hygiene: Appendix L
- Private Hire operator licence conditions: Appendix M
- Enforcement policy and practice: Appendix N
- Penalty points system: Appendix O
Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR