Go to navigation

Register a death

A death should be registered within 5 days. All deaths in the Medway Council area need to be registered at the Medway Register Office. You need to have the medical cause of death certificate from the doctor before you can register a death.

If the coroner has held a post-mortem, they will issue the medical paperwork directly to the registrar. The coroner's officer will usually contact you when the paperwork has been completed to allow you to make an appointment to register the death.

Book an appointment

Phone: 01634 338 998

Registrations are made by appointment to avoid unnecessary waiting. Appointments can be made for between 9.30am and 3.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Who can register a death

You can register the death if you are:

  • a relative
  • someone present at the death
  • a senior administrator from the hospital
  • the person making decisions about the funeral arrangements
  • occupier or inmate of the house where the death occurred

What you need to do

Take the medical certificate showing the cause of death (signed by a doctor) with you.

It is also useful, but not essential, to take the person's NHS medical card together with proof of names and address such as:

  • birth certificate
  • Council Tax bill
  • driving licence
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • passport
  • proof of address (e.g. utility bill)

It would also be useful if you could bring supporting documents for yourself as the person signing the register entry (e.g. passport, driving licence and proof of address).

Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the death.

What you must tell the registrar

  • the person’s full name at the time of death and any other names used
  • any names previously used (e.g. maiden name)
  • the person’s date and place of birth
  • their last address
  • their occupation
  • the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
  • whether they were getting an employment pension from government funds 

Documents you will receive

  • a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the ‘green form’) - gives permission for burial or an application for cremation
  • a Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) - you may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits
  • you are also able to purchase certificates for the registration

Find further information about registering a death on GOV.UK.

If you are not able to attend the Medway Register Office

If it is not possible to attend at the Medway Register Office, the registration may be made by visiting any registrar’s office in England and Wales to make a declaration. This is a statement that the local registrar will send to the Medway Register Office where the registration will then be made. In this case, the death certificate(s), the form for the funeral director and the form BD8 will be sent by post. This will be done as soon as possible but time should be allowed for the post in both directions. Similarly, registrars at Medway are able to take declarations for deaths which take place outside the Medway area.

Register a death abroad

You must register the death according to the regulations in the country where it happened. There is no need to register the death in the UK. It may be possible to make a consular registration either with the nearest consulate or with the consular department of the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London: