Go to navigation

Register overseas events

Births and deaths which occur overseas are registered in the country in which they happened, under that country’s own system.

There is no requirement to register them for UK purposes. However, it may be possible to make a consular registration either with the nearest consulate or with the consular department of the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London.

Information is available from the Foreign and Commonwealth office website :

Where a death has occurred outside England and Wales but it is intended to hold a burial or cremation within England and Wales, further information about the procedure is available on the deaths abroad page.