A new public open space on the Hoo Peninsula
View of field at Cockham Farm
The consultation has now closed.
We have secured central government Housing Infrastructure Funding (HIF) to support possible future growth on the Hoo Peninsula. Part of this funding will enable the establishment of a Strategic Environmental Management Scheme (SEMS), which will deliver a network of new public open spaces. These spaces are designed to provide recreational space for local residents and reduce pressure on more sensitive existing habitats around the Hoo Peninsula.
Cockham Community Parkland is the first of these new spaces to be brought forward. We recently consulted the public on thoughts on the emerging proposals. We will be submitting a planning application for the conversion of farmland into a new parkland running between Chattenden and Hoo St Werburgh in winter 2020.
The proposed site for Cockham Community Parkland forms part of Cockham Farm. A series of fields currently used for crop growing will be re-purposed to create the parkland. The fields lie to the south of Hoo St Werburgh and the east of Chattenden. The eastern edge of the park will meet Vicarage Lane. Saxon Shore Way (Upper) runs along part of the northern site boundary.
The proposed new parkland
The brochure provides more details and images of the proposed parkland.
In summary, the new parkland would create a large public open space offering benefits for the local community and wildlife.
Features would include:
- providing safe and attractive routes connecting Main Road to Vicarage Lane for dog walkers, walkers and cyclists
- creating new wildflower meadows, hedges and wooded areas where wildlife can flourish
- creating a new orchard and space for a visitor centre in the future
- providing space for picnics, play and woodland trails
- offering outstanding views of the estuary, the river and Medway
What happens next
Thank you for sending in your comments. We will now collate responses to the questionnaire and update this web page with a report later in October 2020.
We will submit a planning application for the new parkland in winter 2020.
The timeline for the project is below:
- July to September: 6 week public consultation (now closed)
- Complete design of parkland
- End of 2020: planning submission
- Mid 2021: construction
- Early 2023: open to the public
For further information please contact email@example.com