If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for the Council Tax Reduction scheme to reduce your Council Tax bill.
To claim a Council Tax Reduction you must:
- be 18 or older
- have a low income
- have under £16,000 in savings and capital (unless you receive Pension Credit)
- be treated as liable for Council Tax for the property you live in
- not be a full-time student or treated as a person from abroad.
Capital includes money in savings or bank accounts, shares, investments or property. Do not include the value of the home that you live in or personal possessions. Certain other types of capital are also ignored. For full details email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to the Council Tax Reduction scheme in 2022
Each year we decide whether to change the Council Tax Reduction scheme for working age applicants in our area.
Council Tax Reduction scheme 2023 to 2024
What you'll need to apply
To apply for Council Tax Reduction, you'll need to provide:
- proof of identity
- income and savings
- household circumstances.
You can upload evidence to us online using our online form.
Find out how to upload your evidence.
Other reductions and discounts
You may also be eligible for a reduction or exemption if you:
- live alone
- someone you live with is a student
- someone you live with is disabled, a carer or care worker
- have an empty property.