What better way to spend Father’s Day than by the river? Come along to River Festival 2019, a free family festival celebrating maritime Medway.
Come along to the River Festival, a free family festival celebrating maritime Medway.
There'll be plenty of water and land activities. Come along and get involved - it's taking place on Father's Day, so why not bring the whole family?
The main viewing area will be Chatham Waterfront between Sun Pier (by B&M) and the end of the walkway outside Gun Wharf.
- hovercraft displays
- historic boat sail past
- Fire Tug - watch out for their spinning water pistol!
- exploring a giant inflatable 18metre whale (details below)
- Father’s Day activities
- RE Army Boat Display - they will also have a boat on land so that youngsters can 'climb on'
- Fire Tug Water demonstration
- arts and crafts in Chatham Library (details below)
- dancing on the pier (details below)
The Whale: Plastic Bag Jellyfish Show
A highlight this year is the giant inflatable 18metre whale.
You can step inside the whale, meet the cheerful Navigator, and experience a beautiful, funny and interactive show.
This highlights the impact plastic has on our environment through a series of fun learning and theatrical experiences.
Dance on the pier
Formerly known as The Big Dance, Dance on the Pier will be taking place and will include a mix of dance genres, ages and will also include some have-a-go sessions between 12noon to 4pm.
Companies involved include:
- Dance Alley
- Essence Dance
- JSD Troupe
- Upside Down Dance Academy
- AMG Dance
- Hackett-Kyne Irish Dance
- Revolution Dance
- Moving Memory Dance Theatre
- Loop Dance Company
- The Right Step Dance Company (providing workshops)
Activities at Chatham Community Hub and library
The hub will be open and will host activities including:
- Medway Print Festival – printing workshops by local print artists, inspired by the river
- Sea Folk Sing – choir singing sea shanties and new songs inspired by stories of the Medway
- Windrush Celebrations – public performance/re-enactment, steel pan music and art installation
Fort Amherst and the Command of the Heights project
Fort Amherst will be open to the public with activities including:
- dad’s army tunnel tour
- guns and small cannon on display
- children dress up
- vintage tearoom (in the café)
- Adult Education activity (making badges)
- fort craft activity