Check what to do after a death: how to register the death, notify government departments and manage financial, benefits and housing issues.

In the first few days

As soon as you can, you will need to get a medical certificate, register the death and arrange the funeral.

Before you can register the death you’ll need either:

  • a medical certificate - ask the GP or hospital doctor

  • permission from the coroner that you can register the death - if the death was reported to a coroner

You must [register the death]( within 5 days - this includes weekends and bank holidays.

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered.

If you want to arrange the funeral yourself get in touch with our cemeteries and [crematorium](

You may be able to get help with funeral costs.

In the weeks following the death

Once you’ve arranged the above, you need to start telling various organisations about the death.

The Tell Us Once service can help you report the death to a range of local and central government organisations in one go.

Tell Us Once will notify the following Central government organisations:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits and entitlements, for example Universal Credit or State Pension
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a licence and remove the person as the keeper of up to 5 vehicles (contact DVLA separately if you keep or sell a vehicle)
  • Veterans UK - to cancel Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments

Tell Us Once will notify the following Medway Council services:

  • Council Tax and Housing Benefit
  • Children’s Services
  • Adult Social Care
  • Council Housing
  • Macmillan Welfare Benefits Service
  • Blue Badge Scheme
  • concessionary travel
  • electoral services - to remove the person from the electoral register
  • assisted refuse collections
  • libraries and leisure centres

When you [register the death]( the registrar will give you a unique reference number to use the Tell Us Once service online or by phone.

You'll also need to tell banks, utility companies, and landlords or housing associations yourself.

If your circumstances change, the amount of Housing Benefit you get may change. It is benefit fraud if you fail to update your details and claim benefits you’re no longer entitled to. This could result in a fine or prosecution.

You may now be eligible for the following benefits and payments:

  • [Housing Benefit](
  • [Universal Credit](
  • pension benefits
  • Bereavement Benefit
  • Bereavement Support Payment - if your spouse has died

Find out more about how the death of your spouse can affect your benefits, pension and tax at GOV.UK.

  • If you're 18 years of age or over and live alone you can get 25% off your Council Tax bill. Find out more about [single occupancy reductions](

  • If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for a [Council Tax reduction]( to reduce your council tax bill.

You might be able to stay in your council or housing association home if the person named on the tenancy agreement dies. This is called succession.

You must claim your tenancy within a month of their death. Find out more about [succession](

[Request the removal of a disabled parking bay](

To return assisted living equipment phone the Equipment Loan Store (also known as MICES) on 01634 334 860.

To request removal of a Medway Council provided stair lift phone us on 01634 334 466. We will only remove the stair lift, not the electrics.

Bereavement support

Dealing with the death of someone close to you can seem overwhelming.

Your GP or your local religious or community group is often a good place to start to looking for support in dealing with bereavement.

The following local organisations offer support to help you deal with your grief:

More information on what to do after someone dies

You can find more guidance about what to do after someone dies on the GOV.UK website.