We handle the billing, collection and enforcement of Council Tax and any reductions or discounts you're entitled to.
To provide the service, it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information about you. The information collected and held will vary and depend on the nature of the service.
Our processing activities may include:
- data matching
- general correspondence between you and us on administration, billing, collection and enforcement of Council Tax
- investigating and, if applicable, prosecuting for fraudulent activity.
We generally process the following personal information:
- full name
- address including postcode
- date of birth
- phone number
- email address
- move in date
- move out date
- forwarding address or adresses
- local council details (where you have been identified as living)
- Council Tax number
- Council Tax band
- health information
- employer details
- income details
- expenditure details
- financial details
- Power of Attorney details
- additional occupants’ details
- liability order or orders
- our online payment system (for the recording of your payment only).
Why providing your personal information is important
Without the information we may charge you the incorrect rate of Council Tax and you may not receive the benefits, reductions or discounts you are entitled to. If we ask you to provide specific information to assess the correct amount of Council Tax payable and you do not provide this information, we may prosecute. Deliberately providing false information to avoid or reduce Council Tax is also a crime.
The lawful basis for processing your personal data are:
- our legal obligations under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (as amended) to levy and collect Council Tax
- our legal obligations for the administration of the Council Tax reduction scheme under S13A and Schedule 1A of the Local Government Finance Act 1992
- our legal obligations for the administration of Council Tax under the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 (as amended)
- our legal obligations under the Social Security Administration Act 1992
- our legal obligations under the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007
- our legal obligations for the administration of Council Tax under the Local Government Finance Act 2012
- where needed, for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest Local Government Finance Act 2012
- the exercise of official authority under the Serious Crime Act 2007 if needed to disclose information to prevent fraud
- where needed, for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us (Article 6(1)(e) UK GDPR and section 8(c) Data Protection Act 2018) in service to section 45A Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 (SRSA 2007) – ONS data sharing
- where processing is necessary for reasons of public interest (Article 9(2)(g) UK GDPR and section 10(3) & Schedule 1, para.6(2)(a) Data Protection Act 2018) justified by section 45A SRSA 2007 – ONS data sharing
- processing of data relating to criminal convictions and offences (Article 10 UK GDPR and section 10(5) & Schedule 1, para.6(2)(a) of the Data protection Act 2018) justified by section 45A SRSA 200 – ONS data sharing
We may process your personal information on more than one lawful basis depending on why we are using your information.