The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise by the nation ensuring that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly.
It is a pledge that together we acknowledge and understand that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, should be treated with fairness and respect in the communities, economy and society they serve with their lives.
We have signed our own Covenant with the armed forces showing commitment to supporting serving, reservist and ex-armed forces personnel and their dependents.
Kent and Medway Civilian Military Partnership Board
The Kent and Medway Civilian Military Partnership Board oversees and implements the Kent Armed Forces Covenant and the Medway Armed Forces Covenant and organises an annual conference.
It has 5 sub-groups which focus on:
- health and wellbeing
- employment, economy and skills
- integration housing
- recognising and remembering
The board meets twice a year to receive reports and progress updates from each of the sub-groups, having a strategic overview of all activity and steering further progress and implementation going forward.
If you are looking for support or advice there are a number of organisations who can help:
- Veterans' Gateway helps armed forces veterans and their families by putting them in touch with organisations who can offer information, advice and support on a wide range of subjects including healthcare, housing, employment, finances and personal relationships
- Defence Discount Service is a discount scheme for members of the armed forces community
- Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) provide lifelong support and casework for people who are serving or have served in the armed forces
- Kent & Medway Armed Forces Network works with health services to ensure the armed forces community can access the services they need
- Army Families Federation, Naval Families Federation and RAF Families Federation are the voices of the service families and provide help, support and advocacy
- Career Transition Partnership (CTP) is the Ministry of Defence working with Right Management. Leave the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force or the Royal Marines at any rank and you can benefit from resettlement support, career transition advice and training opportunities. They’re the official provider of Armed Forces resettlement.
Armed Forces Veterans Hub
We have partnered with the Chatham, Medway and West Kent Armed Forces & Veterans Breakfast Club to create the Medway Veterans Hub.
Run by veterans, for veterans, the purpose of the hub is to facilitate veterans and armed forces personnel to meet face-to-face in a relaxed, safe and social environment to enjoy breakfast, banter, combat loneliness and allow veterans to 'return to the tribe'.
To find out more or join the hub, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Defence Employer Recognition Scheme
We have been recognised for our commitment to support the armed forces community and holds the gold award for the Armed Forces Covenant.
The gold award follows our previous achievement of a silver award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. Last year’s award follows our pledge to support the armed forces community through employing reservists, armed forces veterans, cadet instructors and their families.