You must have a licence to store and supply petrol to vehicles with internal combustion engines.

You must also have a licence if you want to store more than 275 litres of petrol for private use.

Apply for a licence

Complete our application form for a licence to store petroleum

Tacit consent doesn't apply. We must process your application before a licence can be granted.

If you're granted a licence

Your licence will include your name, the address of your site, how long it is valid for and any other conditions.

If you're refused a licence

If you're refused a licence you can ask us by email to review the decision or appeal to the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills within 28 days from the date your refusal notice is issued.

Renew your licence

Complete our application form to renew your licence to store petroleum

Further information

You're required to have a licence under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 and Petroleum (Transfer of Licenses) Act 1936.