As the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) for Medway, Trading Standards is responsible for ensuring that those who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or the environment and are compliant with the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations 2002.

Petroleum Storage Certificates

Businesses, organisations and individuals who store petroleum often need a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

Find out if this applies to you on the Health and Safety Executive website.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (P(C)R) are in force as of 1 October 2014 and replaced the petroleum licensing system with the PSC.

Certificates are issued for the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company (previously known as licensees). Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either major changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

The keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum amount of petrol stored at the site. The keeper can choose to pay for up to 10 years in advance.

If you suspect a leak, spillage or smell petroleum vapour

If you notice a leak or spillage at a petrol filling station you should inform the staff at the station immediately. If the station is closed at the time you should dial 999 and report the issue to the fire service.

If you can smell petroleum in the street or other premises close to a filling station it could indicate a leak in one of the underground storage tanks or pipelines. You should contact us on 01634 333 333 and say that you want to report a suspected petrol leak.

Our officers will then attend the site to find the source of the smell. Officers will need the site operator to take corrective action to prevent the release of petroleum spirit and its vapours.

If you suspect petroleum spirit or its vapours to be present do not smoke and keep away from the area until specialist advice has been sought.

If the smell is particularly strong, or you can see liquid petroleum in the street, drains or other areas near a filling station, you should notify the fire service by dialling 999.

If you can smell petrol, you can report it online.