If you’re struggling with everyday tasks around your home, you can:
- complete an AskSARA self-assessment: a tool that will help you find the best equipment adaptations for your needs and your home
- complete a Better Care Medway self-assessment: a tool that will help you find the right services and advice for your needs.
- request an assessment by calling 01634 334 466 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on requests for adaptation to Medway properties read our HRA adaptations policy.
Occupational Therapy service
The Occupational Therapy service is available to people of all age groups who live in Medway and who:
- have a permanent and substantial disability.
- experience difficulties with everyday activities of daily functioning within their homes
- meet our eligibility criteria for those who are seeking help from social services.
This service offers you tools and advice about how to look after yourself at home, for example:
- how to save energy throughout the day
- how to manage your daily routine
- changing your flooring to reduce slips and falls
- changing the room layout
- how to use technology to help with everyday tasks such as cooking and eating
- offering you links and contacts to reputable services for home adaptations.
Before adapting your home
An occupational therapist will first assess you at home and work with you to find a solution that helps you keep your independence.
You’ll be assessed on:
- if you can get in and out of your home
- access to facilities in your home
- your ability to use the toilet
- how you get out of a bed or chair
- if you can make a hot drink and food.
Adaptations and equipment
Equipment you can get includes:
- rails around the home
- bathing equipment
- chair and bed raisers
- specialist chairs and shower chairs
Home adaptations may include:
- wheelchair access in the home
- lowering kitchen surfaces to wheelchair height
- lifts to access upstairs
- downstairs toilets or showers.
Cost of equipment or alterations
Some equipment can be loaned to you for free or you may be given a disabled facilities grant if an occupational therapist recommends major adaptations to your home.
For major adaptations to your home or for further advice please email email@example.com or phone 01634 331 200.
Out of hours repairs
Medequip can organise emergency repairs after 5pm or during weekends and bank holidays. They can repair:
- riser/recliner chairs
- pressure care mattresses.
To organise an emergency repair, phone 0208 573 2871.