Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange lets you swap your home with another council or housing association property tenant from anywhere in the country. We keep a list of people interested in exchanges. To be considered you must be up to date with your rent and your property must be in a good state of repair.

Tenants of built-in adaptations for disabilities or tenants of sheltered housing for older people can only exchange with another person in this type of property.

Register for a mutual exchange

You can register for a mutual exchange on Homeswapper. Please note that there may be a charge for using Homeswapper depending on your landlord.

Application process

If you have found a swap and would like to process your application you will need to complete our mutual exchange application.

Download a mutual exchange application form

Once we've received your application we will check your form and tenancy record and make an appointment for an inspection of your home. The inspection will let you know if there are anything you will need to do before the exchange, such as any repairs.

We'll make a decision as quickly as possible and will take no longer than 42 days. You'll then be sent a letter giving permission and any conditions for the exchange or giving reasons for a refusal.

See our mutual exchange policy

If you have any questions about mutual exchanges, please contact the Housing Tenancy Team by: