A licence is needed to erect scaffolding and hoardings on roads, pavements or public alleyways.
The scaffolding or hoarding company will apply for the licence, so customers do not need to contact us directly.
You need to apply for one licence for each site.
We need 5 to 7 days’ notice prior to the erection of the scaffolding or hoarding.
You'll need to pay:
- an upfront admin and site inspection charge of £105.10, this is a one-off cost
- a monthly site inspection change of £55.60 a month for each month you need the licence
Apply for a licence
To apply for a licence you'll need to:
- Pay the site inspection charge of £105.10
- Complete the permission to erect a scaffold/hoarding on the highway form
- Return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your Public Liability Insurance which must have a minimum cover of £5 million.
How to pay the site inspection charge
Pay by VISA debit or credit card over the phone
- Call us on 01634 333 333.
- Quote 4T 9299 5000 7330 35 when you're asked for the cost code, and provide your company name and proposed location.
- You will receive a receipt reference number by email.
- Please forward the receipt email to email@example.com.
Pay by cheque
- Make your cheque for £105.10 payable to Medway Council.
- On the reverse of the cheque write the cost code: 4T 9299 5000 7330 35, the location of the proposed site and your company name.
- Post your cheque to The Traffic Manager, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR.
What happens next
If your application is approved you'll be sent a confirmation letter and invoices for the charges that are due.
We'll then arrange a site inspection.