School crossing patrols, also known as Lollipop ladies, help children and adults cross the road safely on their way to and from school. Section 26 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 permits the council to provide patrols, although there is no statutory responsibility to do so.

When a stop sign is displayed, motorists must stop to allow children to cross or they risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 and 3 penalty points on their driving licence.

School governing bodies, parents and local organisations can request a school crossing patrol. Requests are considered as soon as possible and the same standard criteria are used to make a decision.

Parental responsibility

Parents or carers are responsible for their children’s safety on the way to and from school, regardless of whether or not a school crossing patrol is provided.


You can arrange for a visit from the Safer Journeys Team (and in some cases a School Crossing Patrol Officer), to explain to children how they must behave when crossing the road with a school crossing patrol.

Become a school patrol officer

If you are interested in finding out about being a school crossing patrol man or woman, phone your local school to find out if they are hiring.

Information for schools

Schools in the process of hiring new or replacement patrol staff may need:

To report an incident, download and fill out the incident report sheet