You must apply for a road closure if you want to hold a street party. This is so the event can take place in a safe, closed environment.

Low traffic residential roads are those most likely to be suitable.

We charge a fee of £100 for a road closure.

Before your street party

Not everyone will want to, or be able to, participate. Let everyone know about the event, and start and finishing times. To minimise impact on local residents you should finish by 9pm.

We'll want to ensure most people are happy with the event and have been consulted. We’ll need a list of names and addresses of residents supporting it. This includes local businesses.

If there are any objections you should let us know the details of those objecting.

Apply for a road closure to hold a street party

You should:

  • plan early
  • think about what you want to achieve
  • contact us at least 8 weeks before your party.

Use our form to apply for road closures and inform us of your street party plans:

  1. Gather supporting evidence from neighbours that they agree to the event being held, such as a table of signatures.
  2. Gather information we need about the party such as the dates and timings, reason for the event and details of the road that will need to be closed.
  3. Download the street parties road closure application form.
  4. Complete the form.
  5. Email the completed form and supporting information to
  6. When your application has been approved, pay any applicable fee.

We’ll advise you of the timings of the closures when your application is approved and provide further information.

If you need help or advice phone 01634 333 333 or email

Small parties and fetes

This process is for the types of street parties and fetes where groups of residents get together with their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below.

Small street parties and fetes:

  • are for residents or neighbours only
  • are not usually for profit
  • normally do not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol.

Organising small, private street parties is very simple. You just need to apply for a road closure using the process above.

Larger public events

Larger events have a pay bar, provide entertainment, or charge to raise money for the event.

You’ll need to apply for a road closure using the process above and need a temporary event notice if you’re holding a larger event. This is a type of temporary licence. 

The road closure

Road closures need to be done safely and effectively, with recognisable signage. This signage must adhere to the Highway Code.

We can also provide signage and plans for an additional fee. If you want to make your own signage arrangements, you must include a plan showing the locations and type of signage that would be needed. This is so that we are satisfied that the correct signage is being used and is sufficient for the safe closure of the road.

Low traffic residential roads are those most likely to be suitable.

We will tell the police and other emergency services of the event, and together we will decide if the closure is appropriate.

Other considerations


You should consider the following:

  • you can hang bunting, but do not restrict access by vehicles, such as fire engines
  • you can put gazebos and other structures in the street once the road is closed. However, structures must not be secured by spikes or stakes because of possible damage to pipes and cables
  • do not cover fire hydrants or markers.


You do not need a licence for food. 

You can cook in the street. Use sensible cooking equipment like a barbecue rather than a fire pit.


You do not need an entertainment licence to play music, as long as:

  • the music is not advertised in advance to attract people
  • you're not making money.


In most cases you do not need public liability insurance. Where you or we think insurance would be a good idea, you should visit the Streets Alive website or The Big Lunch website for further advice

Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can be split between residents if you all agree to this.

After the party

You must clean up after the party. Remove everything you used including tables, food and decorations.

Recycle what you can.