Street parties | Street parties | Medway Council

Street parties are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet others in our community.

If you would like to hold a street party you need to apply for a road closure.

Apply to hold a street party

If you would like to apply to hold a street party email


Find out what you need to know about holding a street party in Medway:

The road closure

  • you don't have to pay for a road closure
  • try to avoid roads that have a lot of traffic or are on a major route
  • we will tell the police and other emergency services of the event and together we will decide if the closure is appropriate
  • We will, where possible, provide road signs and cones and advise you on where to place them


  • you can hang bunting, just bear in mind access by emergency vehicles, such as fire engines
  • you can put gazebos and other structures in the street once the road is closed. However, structures must not be secured by spikes or stakes because of possible damages to pipes and cables
  • do not cover fire hydrants or markers


  • you don't need a licence for food
  • you can cook in the street. Use sensible cooking equipment like a barbecue rather than a fire pit


  • you don't need an entertainment licence to play music, as long as the music is not advertised in advance to attract people and you're not making money


  • In most cases you don't need public liability insurance. Where you or we think insurance would be a good idea, you should visit the Streets Alive website or The Big Lunch website for further advice
  • quotes for insurance start from as little as £50
  • the costs can always be split between residents if you all agree to it

After the party

  • you must clean up after the party
  • remove everything you used including tables, food and decorations 
  • recycle what you can.