Home education is when a child is educated at home rather than at school.

The Education Act 1996 states that education is compulsory and it's the duty of parents to secure full-time education for their child from the age of 5, but not necessarily by attendance at school.

If you’re thinking about teaching your child at home, you don’t need to be a qualified teacher, but you must be committed to giving them a full-time education that is suitable to their age and ability.

If you decide to home educate

If you decide to give your child a home education you must:

  • notify the council by emailing ca_inclusions_team@medway.gov.uk or writing to Inclusion Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR
  • notify the school headteacher in writing if you're taking your child out of school

If your child has an Education Healthcare Plan and goes to a special school, you must get our consent before removing them from the school roll. This is so we can make sure they continue to receive a suitable education.

When you start to home educate, a Home Education Adviser will make contact with you and arrange a visit to your home or another venue if you’d prefer. They will discuss the education you are providing and offer advice and guidance to the family.

The Home Education Adviser will normally contact you once a year to book a visit and ask for up-to-date information.