If you can no longer make decisions about money, care or other personal matters you can choose someone to help you as your power of attorney.

Types of power of attorneys

Ordinary power of attorneys

An ordinary power of attorney is someone you nominate to make decisions for you, even when you are able to do so yourself.

Lasting power of attorney

A lasting power of attorney is someone you've chosen to manage your affairs if you become unable to make decisions for yourself. This could be due to sickness.

Find out more about the types of power of attorneys

If you do not have a power of attorney and cannot manage

If you have not nominated someone to be your power of attorney in advance, someone can be appointed responsible if you can no longer manage your finances.

This person can be either a deputy, or an appointee.


An appointee is responsible for dealing with benefits, paying bills and managing a limited amount of savings in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Find out more about appointees


A deputy is responsible for a person's financial affairs if they become incapable of doing so themselves. This includes savings, pensions, all sources of income, and assets such as property and valuables.

Find out more about deputies

If you do not have someone to be your appointee or deputy

If you do not have someone to become your appointee or deputy, a social worker may decide that the council should act on your behalf. This decision would be made with regards to the Mental Capacity Act.

Support to make a lasting power of attorney

If you need support making a lasting power of attorney, you should contact the Office of the Public Guardian by emailing customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk.

Or you can call 0300 456 0300 or textphone 0115 9342 778 between 9am to 5pm from Monday to Friday.

You can get further help from the following organisations: