Why we use your data

We use your data for matters including:

  • statutory requirements, for example, reporting to government
  • service delivery
  • service improvement and planning
  • regulatory, licensing and enforcement functions
  • prevention and detection of crime
  • financial transactions
  • research (including consultations)
  • equality monitoring.

Why we can use your data

We can use your data if it's a legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to:

  • Local Government Acts of 1894 and 1972
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Acts of 1894, 1976 and 1982
  • Public Health Act 1936
  • House to House collections Act 1939
  • Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
  • Licensing Act 2003
  • Gambling Act 2005
  • Town Police Clauses Act 1847
  • Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
  • The Equality Act 2010.

We may also use your personal data when:

  • we have your consent (for example, a prescribed consultation)
  • we need to take measures to enter into and perform a contract (for example, approved garages).

Who we share your data with

Bodies we can share your data with include:

  • judicial agencies (for example, courts)
  • the police
  • youth offending services
  • voluntary agency partners
  • government departments
  • national regulators and agencies
  • other local councils
  • fire and rescue services
  • other departments of the local council
  • elected members and MPs (as your representative)
  • funding bodies.

Your rights

We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law.

You can ask to see what data we hold about you and ask to be sent a copy.

This is called a Subject Access Request. To submit a subject access request please email: gdpr@medway.gov.uk.

Requests are free of charge unless there is a lot of work or a lot of photocopying and postage, which we are allowed to charge a reasonable fee for.

You can also ask us to:

  • correct your data if you think it is wrong
  • stop using your data if you think we no longer should be using it
  • stop using your data if you think it is wrong, until it’s put right
  • not use automated processing with your data
  • ask for any automated portable electronic data file we hold on you to be sent to another organisation
  • consider any complaint you have about how we have used your data.

Request for information or complaints

You must contact our Data Protection Officer if you wish to:

  • ask us anything about data protection
  • ask for a copy of your data
  • make a data subject request
  • make a complaint about how we have used or looked after your data.

You can contact the Data Protection Officer by email at gdpr@medway.gov.uk or by post:

Data Protection Officer
Information Governance Team
Legal Services
Gravesham Borough Council
Civic Centre
Windmill Street
DA12 1AU

Office of the Information Commissioner (ICO)

If you're ever unhappy with how the council has answered your complaint, you can then contact the ICO by:

The Office of the Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane