Any person collecting, buying or selling scrap metal must have a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence.

View the Home Office's scrap metal guidance

Consumer complaint

If you are a customer of a scrap metal dealer, you should first contact the operator, preferably in writing, with proof of delivery. If that does not work and if you are located in the UK, the CAB Advice guide will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade associations