You will be required to advertise your application by displaying a notice at the premises.
If you fail to advertise your application correctly, you will be required to re-advertise for a further 10 working days (Monday to Friday). Your application will be kept on hold until you comply with the statutory requirements of advertising your application.
Due to public complaints about licensed premises failing to advertise correctly, Licensing Enforcement officers now check all notices are correctly displayed for every application received.
If you are in any doubt about the advertising requirements please contact the licensing team. Alternatively please submit a copy of your notice along with your application and the wording will be checked when processing the application. If there are any errors these can be rectified early on in the process.
Displaying the notice
The notice must be placed in a prominent position on the exterior of the premises to which the application relates. It must be read conveniently from the public highway.
If your premises are larger that 50 metres then you legally need to display further notices every 50 metres along the perimeter of the premises that face a highway or has public access.
Period of time the notice is displayed
It must be displayed for no less than 10 working days.
Format of the notice
The notice must be:
- a size equal to or larger than A4 size paper
- printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font size equal to or larger than 16
- on white paper
Wording of the notice
The statement must include:
- the full name of the premises
- the postal address of the establishment or if no address is available, a description of those premises, for instance, Pub, Off Licence, Night Club and location of premises
- the name of the applicant applying for the licence
- the type of application, for instance, new premises licence, variation or provisional statement
- a list of the licensable activities you have applied for in your application
- the licensing authority details (Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road) and where the full application can be viewed, such as at the council
- the date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representations to the Licensing Authority (10 working days from putting up your notice)
You must also state that representations must be made in writing and, at the bottom you must state that it is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence.
Example of notice wording
Enter the details for your notice.
This is only to give you some idea as to how you should word your notice and therefore, you must consider the requirements when making up your own notices.
I (enter your name) am applying for a minor variation of a premises licence/club premises certificate (delete as appropriate) at the (enter name and address of your premises). My application is made to Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR. I am applying to make structural alterations to the premises such as move the counter, layout of shelving or add licensable activities such as films during 12noon to 6pm, amend a condition number relating to CCTV, add condition in relation to such as installing CCTV).
Should you wish to make representations to the council it must be in writing and/or you can view my application by contacting the council on 01634 337 107 or 01634 337 108 by date (10 working days from the date the Licensing Authority accepts your application)
It is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application. A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £5,000.
For more information contact Licensing Services on 01634 337107 or 01634 337 108 or contact Enforcement on 01634 337 112 or 01634 337 106 or by emailing email@example.com.
Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR