Verges alongside the road are usually, but not always, part of the public highway. Maintenance of highway verges are conducted by a term contractor, via our Greenspaces team. The contractor has a rolling programme of maintenance, including grass cutting, hedge trimming and shrub maintenance that is designed to meet the needs of the network, across the whole year.

Download more about how and when we cut grass.

Other verges, for example, those on current or old social housing estates may be owned and maintained by the relevant social landlord, such as mhs homes.

Let us know about a problem with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and shrubs

To report a problem with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and shrubs:

  1. Go to the online form, below
  2. Under 'Enquiry details: What is the enquiry about' choose 'Report an issue with a footway or highway' 
  3. Choose whether the problem is on a footway, highway or public right of way
  4. Then choose vegetation, grass verge condition or vegetation condition
  5. Fill in the rest of the form and submit it to us.

You'll need to tell us:

  • your details, including name and address
  • your contact details
  • the location of the problem.

Report a problem with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and shrubs

What happens after

For general reports for grass and shrub maintenance, we'll schedule the works on the next visit. For any obstruction or similar queries, we'll assess the nature of any work required and schedule these into our work programmes. This can take up to 30 days.

We may contact you for further information or let you know if the issue is not a council matter.

Encouraging biodiversity

Find out more about how we're creating more wildflower verges in Medway.

Service margins

On newer housing estates, 'service margins' sometimes replace the footway with a grassed area that provides access to service ducts and cables.

There are 2 types of service margin:

  • where the margin is dedicated as public highway by the developer, the margin has the same status as a highway verge
  • where the adjoining landowner retains ownership of the margin, but there is a condition attached to the deeds of the property that allows statutory undertakers (public utility companies) to lay and maintain their services in the service margin.

There is a tendency for householders to treat service margins as part of their gardens. However, they should be left as verges, with no fences or walls built on them.


Trees placed on land that has highway status are maintained by our Greenspaces team.

They arrange for the trees to be inspected and any necessary work undertaken by an approved contractor. This includes a rolling programme of inspection and maintenance to ensure that all trees are maintained to an appropriate standard.

Find out how to report tree problems.