Report grass cutting, hedge trimming and shrub problems
Verges alongside the road are normally part of the public highway. They are maintained by a term contractor, chosen by our Greenspaces team. The contractor has a rolling programme of maintenance, including grass cutting, hedge trimming and shrub maintenance to meet the needs of the network, across the whole year.
Other verges, such as those on current or old social housing estates may be owned and maintained by a social landlord, such as mhs homes.
On newer housing estates, grass verges (known as 'service margins') sometimes replace the footways that provide access to service ducts and cables.
If there is a service margin on or near your property, they must be left as verges, with no fences or walls built on them.
Let us know about a problem with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and shrubs
To report a problem with grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and shrubs:
- Go to the online form, below
- Under 'Enquiry details: What is the enquiry about' choose 'Report an issue with a footway or highway'
- Choose whether the problem is on a footway, highway or public right of way
- Then choose vegetation, grass verge condition or vegetation condition
- Fill in the rest of the form and submit it to us.
You'll need to tell us:
- your details, including name and address
- your contact details
- the location of the problem.
What happens after
For general reports for grass and shrub maintenance, we'll schedule the works on the next visit. For any obstruction or similar queries, we'll assess the nature of any work required and schedule these into our work programmes. This can take up to 30 days.
We may contact you for further information or let you know if the issue is not a council matter.