There are slightly different arrangements for making a complaint about religious education or collective worship in a voluntary aided school. If you have a complaint about the religious education or collective worship provided in such a school and you have not been able to resolve it in discussion with the headteacher or other staff, you can make a formal complaint to the governing body, in line with the arrangements.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you should refer your complaint to the appropriate Diocesan Education Officer, who can arrange for it to be considered by the Bishop or Archbishop of that Diocese. When your complaint has been fully investigated and considered, the Diocesan Education Officer will write to you and to the relevant officer of Medway Council (as the local authority), letting you know the outcome and explaining:

  • the decision taken and the reason for it
  • any action that has been or will be taken to resolve your complaint (including details of any request to those complained against to take particular actions)
  • any further appeal you can make.

Useful contact details

Rochester Diocesan Board of Education
Diocesan Office
St Nicholas Church
Kent ME1 1SL
Phone: 01634 843 667

Southwark Diocesan Schools' Commission for Kent
St Edward's House
St Pauls Wood Hill
St Paul's Cray
Kent BR5 2SR
Phone: 01689 829 331