There may be times when you feel unhappy with the service you receive and wish to complain. If you make a complaint, we will investigate it thoroughly and promptly and let you know the outcome. Our complaints procedure has two stages.

Stage one

The people best placed to resolve any problem or concern you have are usually the people providing the service so, in the first instance, contact them direct with your complaint and they will try and sort things out straight away.

If you're unhappy with the service you receive or want to make a complaint you can use the following methods:

  • complete our online complaints form
  • phone 01634 333 333
  • write to us: Customer Relations, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR

If you've had a positive experience of Medway's housing service please let us know.

Stage two

Stage two gives you the opportunity to have your complaint looked at again if you’re not happy with our response at stage one. Your complaint will be reviewed by a customer relations investigations officer.

When you receive your stage one response, you'll be advised how to escalate your complaint to stage two, should you remain dissatisfied with our response.

Our Customer Relations Team will acknowledge your stage two complaint within three working days, and will work with the service area to investigate and resolve your complaint.

We may need to phone you to discuss your complaint during our investigation.

We'll look into what has happened so far and answer you within 15 working days either by phone, email or letter to explain what we have done to put things right. If we cannot get back to you straight away we'll let you know the reason for the delay and give you a date when we'll reply.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and response deadlines

We're working hard to maintain a good level of service to our customers. But as the current situation is likely to impact on the time it takes to investigate and respond to complaints, we may be unable to meet our normal response deadlines. Thank you for your patience.

Designated person

If you are still not satisfied, immediately after the completion of stage two, the complaint can be referred to a 'designated person' by emailing

If eight weeks have past since the completion of stage two, you can progress the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service without reference to the designated person by emailing by phoning 0300 111 3000 (Monday to Friday from 9.15am to 5.15pm) or by fax at 0207 831 1942.

You can also write to: Housing Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London E14 9GE

Help from others

At any stage you can contact your local councillor or use another person or organisation to contact us on your behalf (such as your MP or a community group).

We may need to contact you to ask for consent to investigate your complaint.