LDC applications are used to make sure that:

  • proposed works are permitted development (permitted development means allowing certain types of development to be carried out without planning permission)
  • existing developments are lawful.

Read the guidance on the LDC process and definitions of lawfulness and its limits.

Apply for a LDC on the Planning Portal

What you need to apply

For all applications, you'll need:

  • to complete an application form
  • a site location plan
  • to pay the fee.

For most applications, you'll also need drawings.


We need these to understand and assess your project.

Your application may be delayed if you do not provide them.

The drawings you'll need are:

  • a site plan (must be at a scale of 1:1250)
  • a block plan (must be at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500)
  • floor and roof plans (at a scale of 1:100 or 1:50 at A3 or A4 size)
  • elevations and sections (at a scale 1:100 or 1:50 at A3 or A4 size)
  • photographs (preferred but not needed).

Each drawing you submit must:

  • show a linear scale bar
  • show a unique drawing reference number
  • show the direction of north (if it's a plan)
  • show a clear label, for example ‘existing roof plan’
  • be provided in PDF, JPG or PNG format only.

For more information, tips and examples of good drawings, read our householder guide.

If you need further help with drawings, you will need to speak to an architect or architectural designer.

Further guidance

If you are applying for an LDC, use the list below to find out more about the information you will need:

For drawings of an extension or an outbuilding, you must include:

  • at least one plan of the entire curtilage of the property
  • details of the area of the curtilage and the area of the extension or outbuilding, in square metres
  • whether any side facing windows (if included) can be opened and if they are obscure glazed
  • labelling of the existing and proposed building materials
  • details of alterations to the roof including extensions, dormer windows, and roof lights
  • full calculations of the existing and proposed cubic content of the roof space
  • how far roof lights will project from the roof slope on the drawings (if included)
  • the distance between dormer windows, the eaves of the original roof and the bottom of the dormer window on the drawings (if included).

If your proposal involves laying hard standing, you must confirm the proposed materials are semi-permeable.

You must give evidence to confirm when the works were completed. This evidence can include:

  • building control Final Inspection Certificate
  • copies of rent or account documents
  • Council Tax, valuation tax letter, or statements specifically addressed to the flat number or floor or clearly identifying the unit in question
  • photographs 
  • Google Street View screenshots
  • invoices from construction work.

In some cases, we might accept letters or unsworn statements, for example where there is extra evidence to back up the statement.

We might accept letters if they are used to support a sworn statement.

Statements from owners or applicants that give important evidence should always be sworn in the proper form and be original documents.

The evidence you need to submit will depend on what you are applying for.

It's your responsibility to convince the council that a certificate should be issued.

The evidence should be clear and convincing, and you should submit at least 2 different types of evidence. 

You must submit the same forms and drawings that would support a full planning application for the development type.

For more information view all requirements in our planning permission checklist.

If you're making an application for a change of use (for example, domestic to business) or for confirmation of use (for example, if you need to check if the use class remains the same) you must submit a cover letter.

The cover letter should confirm:

  • the existing use
  • the proposed use
  • any changes taking place to the outside of the building.

To find out more about use classes, visit the Planning Portal use class page

You must provide a detailed schedule of the proposed works.

You must also include a statement setting out why the works wouldn't affect the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building and do not require Listed Building Consent.

You should provide details of the listed building including the published listing description.

Visit our conservation areas and listed buildings page