The Medway Mile is back! After a year off in 2020 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Medway Mile returns on Friday 10 September 2021.
Join thousands of other runners, joggers and walkers for this free mass participation family event.
This year’s Medway Mile will include:
- a mass mile around the streets of historic Rochester
- children’s races for parents and toddlers through to 11-year-olds in the Castle Gardens
- competitive adult race
- mascot race
- free sporting have-a-go activities and taster fitness classes
- inflatables and other family fun
- public health zone with family activities and information
- pop-up COVID-19 vaccination and testing service
- souvenir t-shirt for registered participants.
The Medway Mile 2021 is sponsored by A Better Medway.
This year’s rescheduled event will end earlier than the normal July Medway Mile due to the shorter daylight hours in September.
- 5pm: event opens. Activities and taster sessions begin
- 5.15pm: children’s races
- 6pm: mascot race
- 6.30pm: competitive adult race (16+)
- 6.45pm: mass warm up
- 7pm: mass Medway Mile 2021
- 8pm: event closes.
Mass Medway Mile
All runners need to register to take part in the Mass Medway Mile.
The Medway Mile registration process is facilitated by Eventrac.
Competitive adult race
This provides an opportunity for competitive runners aged 16+ to take on the one mile route around Rochester, separate from the mass race.
It is aimed at club athletes but it also open to experienced non-club runners and is individually chip timed.
It is an unofficial race that will test the speed of athletes over a mile, so we are seeking sub-7-minute (male) and sub-9-minute (female) athletes for this race.
Entry will be refused if you cannot compete with these times.
To qualify for a free souvenir t-shirt please also register for the Mass Mile, which you will be able to join as a cool down run after the competitive race.
If you are a charity, club or other organisation wishing to enter our novelty mascot race please email firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no need to pre-register for the fun children’s races.
Children will be sorted into races by age on the evening.
Make the most of your Medway Mile experience by trying a host of different sports and fun activities throughout the evening.
From 5pm, you’ll be able to work your way around a roadshow of have-a-go activities including:
- balance bikes and cycling skills
There will also be a programme of pop-up multi-sport activities and taster fitness classes led by our Medway Sport instructors.
Our event sponsors from A Better Medway will be offering information and activities on a range of services, and you can even meet the tobacco control sniffer dogs. There will also be face painting supported by the Child-Friendly Medway team, free inflatables and a toddler soft play area.
The Public Health team will be running a drop-in vaccination and a COVID-19 testing service at the event.
Preparing for the Medway Mile
Medway Sport has mapped out one mile routes at parks across Medway.
Why not give them a go to help prepare for the event, or continue to walk or run a mile together as a family after the Medway Mile?
You could also join the weekly parkrun at Great Lines Heritage Park on Saturday mornings at 9am, or Junior Park Run at The Strand, Gillingham, on Sundays at 9.30am.
Keeping you safe
Keeping our staff and visitors safe is important. Therefore, we have ensured our events adhere to the current government advice, including regular enhanced cleaning.
However, we ask you take notice of the following points:
- if you have symptoms of COVID-19, please do not come to the event and take a PCR test immediately
- face coverings are optional, however please respect those wearing them
- wash your hands regularly - hand sanitiser stations will be available.