Medway’s families can take part in a wide variety of free sports session this summer.
Family workouts, Tai Chi classes and pop-up sport sessions will be on offer at greenspaces across Medway between June and August.
The free 12-week programmes are funded by the Home Office’s Safer Streets Fund, which was secured by the Kent and Police Crime Commissioner last year.
From Saturday, 3 June to Saturday, 19 August, buggy workout sessions, suitable for parents with children in buggies, will take place at Jacksons Field in Rochester between 9am and 10am. Family workout sessions will also be held between 10am and 11am. All equipment will be provided and the sessions will be run by our Medway Sport instructors.
On Tuesdays between Tuesday, 6 June and Tuesday, 22 August, family can take part in family Tai Chi classes between 9.30am and 10.30am and between 10.30am and 11.30am at Victoria Gardens in Chatham. The sessions will held near the bandstand and will be run by Shi Kon Martial Arts.
Family pop-up sport sessions will also be held at Luton Millennium Green on Tuesdays between Tuesday, 6 June and Tuesday, 22 August. Sessions will be held between 4.30pm and 5.30pm and 5.30pm to 6.30pm. Meet coaches from Sport on your Doorstep in the ball cage.
No booking is required for any of the sessions – simply turn up and have fun with your family.
Our Child-Friendly Medway team has also organised free drop-in multi-sport activities for children aged eight and above this summer. Led by coaches from Sport on Your Doorstep in partnership with Medway Youth Service, Medway’s young people can play football, basketball, kwik cricket and rounders.
The sessions will be held at:
- Chalk Pit Hill Park, Chatham, on Mondays from Monday, 5 June to Monday, 21 August, between 6pm and 7.30pm.
- St James Recreational Field, Grain, on Tuesdays from Tuesday, 6 June to Tuesday, 22 August, between 6pm to 7.30pm.
- Saunders Street Ball Cage, Gillingham, on Wednesdays from Wednesday, 7 June to Wednesday, 23 August, between 5pm and 6.30pm.
- Luton Millennium Green, Chatham, on Wednesdays in June from Wednesday, 7 June to Wednesday, 28 June, between 4.30pm and 6pm.
- Jackson’s Field, Rochester, on Thursdays from Thursday, 8 June to Thursday, 24 August, between 6pm and 7.30pm.
- Cozenton Park, Rainham, on Fridays, from Friday, 9 June to Friday, 25 August, between 6pm and 7.30pm.
Fantastic free sessions
Cllr Tris Osborne, Medway Council’s Portfolio Holder for Community Safety and Enforcement, said: “I am pleased that we are using the funding from the Safer Streets initiative to encourage families to become more active whilst having fun. These fantastic free sessions will provide great opportunities for families to have fun and enjoy some of Medway’s greenspaces. I would encourage families, as well as children and young people, to find out more about the sessions.”
Committed to providing more opportunities
Cllr Adam Price, Medway Council’s Portfolio Holder for Children Services, said: “I am delighted that we are holding a wide range of sporting sessions for families as well as specific sessions for Medway’s children and young people to take part in this summer. We are committed to providing more opportunities for our youngest residents and these sessions support our aspiration to make Medway even more child-friendly.”