As Council Tax payments are mostly paid in advance, you might have paid too much Council Tax if there's a change in your circumstances.

Council Tax overpayments

If you've been notified that your Council Tax account is in credit you may be able to get a refund. You may also be able to get a refund if you paid in error.

Your account may be in credit because:

  • you get a Council Tax discount, exemption or other support
  • your Council Tax band has changed
  • you paid too much Council Tax in error
  • you moved home. If you have moved within Medway, we will usually transfer any overpayment to your new address.

How to request a refund

Complete our online form if you:

  • are a person or company responsible for paying the Council Tax
  • have power of attorney for someone else
  • are a named executor.

If there's more than one person named on your Council Tax account, we may not be able to refund the full amount to you.

After you have submitted this form, we'll need to make further enquiries with the other account holders. They may give their consent for you to receive the full refund, or the refund may be split between each of you.

Before you start

To complete the online form you'll need:

  • the Council Tax payment reference number - you'll find this on your Council Tax bill
  • bank details of the account where the refund should be sent.

Request a Council Tax refund

What happens next

We'll consider your application within 10 working days. We'll contact you using the contact details you provided if we need additional information.

If we cannot give you a refund, we'll tell you why.

Check your Council Tax balance

Check your balance online

You can also check your balance online and view billing information using the My Council Tax Online account.