Join thousands of other runners, joggers and walkers for this free mass participation family event.
We'll be taking the Medway Mile to different locations across Medway during the next few years. This will bring the fun of this mass-participation event to as many local communities as possible.
This year’s event will take place at Medway Park in Gillingham on Friday 21 July 2023.
Anyone is welcome to come along to the event and enjoy the free sports activities, attractions and entertainment.
You can now book a place for the Medway Mile 2023.
This year’s Medway Mile will include:
- a mass mile route which will celebrate the track at Medway Park
- children’s races on the Medway Park athletics track
- competitive club and run group races
- mascot race
- free sports activities
- live entertainment
- souvenir t-shirt for registered participants.
For the competitive adult race this year, we are linking with Medway and Maidstone Athletics Club to stage a series of showpiece mile races on the Medway Park track.
The Medway Mile 2023 is supported by A Better Medway as part of the physical activity campaign.
It is also being supported by child-friendly Medway.
- 5pm: event opens
- 5pm to 6.30pm: new aquatic taster zone in the Medway Park swimming pool (lockers on site to store kit)
- 5.15pm: children’s races
- 6pm: mascot race
- 6.15pm: Medway run groups mile (invite only)
- 6.30pm: club track races (invite only)
- 7.15pm: mass warm-up
- 7.45pm: Mass Medway Mile 2023
- 9pm: event closes.
Sports activities, family fun and entertainment will run throughout the evening, but will stop between 7.15pm and 8pm for the Mass Mile.
There'll be lots of activities, tasters and demonstrations on the night, run by our partners, including:
- 10 pin bowling - Hollywood Bowl
- athletics - Medway & Maidstone Athletics Club
- balance bikes - KLS Active
- basketball - Kent Crusaders
- boccia and bowling - Prince Arthur Bowls Club
- boxing - Olympia Boxing
- cheerleading - MCDA Allstars
- dance - Caterpillar Dance School
- diving - Highgate Diving Club
- football - Anchorians Football Club
- hockey - Gillingham Anchorians.
More activities include:
- ice hockey - Invicta Dynamics women's ice hockey team and Invicta Junior ice hockey
- judo - Medway Park Judo Club
- ju-jitsu - Kyushin Ryu Ju Jitsu
- korfball - Tornadoes Korfball Club
- rugby - Medway Rugby Club
- running - Rebel Runners and Great Lines parkrun team
- scuba diving - Nemes Diving & Water Sports Academy
- swimming - Black Lion Swim Club
- synchronised swimming - Medway Artistic Swimming Club
- wheelchair rugby league - London Roosters and England Rugby League.
There is also:
- children's sports activity classes - Busy Bodies
- cricket - Medway Sport team
- table tennis - Medway Sport team.
Mass Medway Mile
Participants need to pre-register to take part in the Mass Medway Mile, to guarantee a souvenir event t-shirt.
The Mass Mile event is free to enter and we welcome everyone to take part on the day.
The Medway Mile online registration is provided by Eventrac.
Competitive track races
Medway and Maidstone Athletics Club will be managing entries for the club races on the track.
Full details of the race criteria will be given to clubs and run groups.
If you are a charity, club or other organisation wishing to enter our novelty mascot race, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no need to pre-register for the fun children’s races.
Children will be sorted into heats on the evening.
Medals sponsored by child-friendly Medway will be awarded to participants in the children’s races.
Preparing for the Medway Mile
Medway Sport has mapped out one-mile routes at parks across Medway.
Why not give them a go to help prepare for the event, or continue to walk or run a mile together as a family after the Medway Mile?
You could also join the weekly parkrun at Great Lines Heritage Park on Saturday mornings at 9am, or Junior Park Run at The Strand, Gillingham, on Sundays at 9.30am.