This privacy notice explains how we use information in the course of our work as a Lead Local Flood Authority.
If you have questions about data or privacy contact our data protection officer by emailing GDPR@medway.gov.uk
How we collect your information
We get personal information directly by email, telephone or letter.
We also get personal information from third party websites that provide a transactional service such as the Land Registry.
If you supply personal information belonging to a third party, make sure you have the person’s permission.
What data we can collect
We can collect personal information such as:
- contact details
- details of any land you either own or occupy
What we do with your information
We use the information provided to us to make decisions as a Lead Local Flood Authority, as defined in the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 and to operate in line with the Medway Local Flood Risk Management Strategy.
This is known as a 'public taskand is why we do not need you to 'opt in' to allow your information to be used.
We may use your information to:
- carry out works to manage local flood risks
- provide advice on planning applications
- undertake flood investigations
- maintain our flood risk asset record and register
- respond to flood and drainage enquiries
- process applications under Section 23 of the Land Drainage Act 1991
Who we share your personal data with
We will not sell, rent, or share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
We may share your information to carry out our duties and deliver services to you.
We may share your information with:
- other risk management authorities
- local planning authority
When we use third party service providers, we only share the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service. We will only share data with third parties if we have a contract in place that requires them to only use your data for the agreed purpose.
How long we will hold your personal data
Personal information is held in line with the council’s Corporate Retention Schedule, Land Drainage Act 1991 and Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the right to:
- access to your own personal data
- request rectification or deletion of your personal data
- object to the processing of your personal data
- request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format
- withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer by emailing GDPR@medway.gov.uk
Your right to complain
If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Medway Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case.
Your complaint will then be investigated in line with the council’s complaint procedure.
If you are still unhappy with the way your personal data has been handled, you can report the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the details below.
Information Commissioner’s Office