A dropped kerb (vehicle crossing) is a strengthening of the highway to allow vehicles to pass regularly over the footway or verge. You will need to pay for all construction costs, including planning consent and the repositioning of any street furniture.

You can apply for either our contractor, Volker Highways, to carry out the work or use a council-approved contractor.

Download documents to apply for a dropped kerb

After you apply

If you wish to use our Term Maintenance Contractor, Volker Highways, we will provide a quotation for the cost of the work within 14 days. 

If you choose a contractor from our approved list, there is a £331.40 inspection fee, which is due at the time of application.

White keep clear markings

We no longer install or repaint white keep clear markings. The concessionary scheme has been discontinued.

The markings are advisory only. It remains illegal to obstruct a dropped kerb whether there is a white line or not.

Find more about types of illegal parking.

You can also report illegal parking online or contact the enforcement team on 01634 331 760 or 07718 130 962.

Officers are available from 7am to 1pm.

Calls will be allocated to a Reactive Civil Enforcement Officer who will attend as quickly as possible.

Trees outside your property

If you have a tree outside of your property, permission will not be given until a representative from the Greenspaces Tree Team has also inspected the site. Highways officers will work with the tree team on the applicant’s behalf.

Report an illegal vehicle crossing

Report an illegally constructed vehicle crossing