A dropped kerb (vehicle crossing) is a strengthening of the highway to allow vehicles to pass regularly over the footway or verge. You will need to pay for all construction costs, including planning consent and the repositioning of any street furniture.

You can apply for either our contractor, Volker Highways, to carry out the work or use a council approved contractor.

Read the vehicle crossing and self assessment guidance notes

Download an application to use Medway Council's contractor

Download an application to use a contactor from our approved list

Download a list of approved contractors for vehicle crossovers (dropped kerbs)

After you apply

If you wish to use our Term Maintenance Contractor, Volker Highways, we will provide a quotation for the cost of the work within 14 days. An inspection fee of £167 is due at the time of application.

If you choose a contractor from our approved list, there is a £286.20 inspection fee, which is due at the time of application.

If you need planning permission, this can take up to 8 weeks to determine. Please note there is a £206 fee for planning permission, but this could increase if your proposal involves a change of use.

White keep clear markings

At this present time, Medway Council are unable to progress white keep clear markings as the concessionary scheme has currently been placed on hold.

Although this scheme is on hold at present, anyone wishing to report illegal parking on dropped kerbs can do so via our enforcement department on 01634 331 760 or 07718 130 962.

Trees outside your property

If you have a tree outside of your property, permission will not be given until a representative from the Greenspaces Tree Team has also inspected the site. Highways officers will liaise with the tree team on the applicant’s behalf.

Report an illegal vehicle crossing

Report an illegally constructed vehicle crossing