Apply for a school place

To apply for a school place you will need to complete an application for each child if you are applying for more than one such as twins. 

You can speak to your child's current school about identifying a new school but you are responsible for submitting your child's school preferences online.

You can apply for a school place using the Parent Portal.

Create a Parent Portal account

Log into your Parent Portal account

Applying if you do not have access to a computer at home

You can use computers at our community hubs or libraries to complete your online application.

If you cannot apply online, you can get a paper application from Nicola Ferguson (primary and secondary transfer) or Maria Barber (post 16 transfer).

Call 01634 331 123 to request a copy.

Naming your preferred schools

When applying you can:

  • name both Medway and non-Medway schools on your application
  • apply for up to three different schools in order of preference 

We cannot guarantee or give a child a priority place. If you name a school multiple times, it will only be considered as one of your preferences. Naming only one school also does not improve your chances of being offered a place at that school.

You can apply for less than three school places but if a place is not available at your preferred school we will look to place children in schools as close to the child’s main home as possible. We may also refer to local or private placements if it's considered suitable and notify you of this.

Once you've applied

When you apply for a school online, you will:

  • get email confirmation when you submit your application
  • be able to check or change your application until the closing date and resubmit after changes are made
  • be advised of your allocation by email

You will also be able to apply for home to school travel assistance.

You can apply once your child’s school place has been confirmed and the amended final EHCP has been issued naming the school at Section I. 

How places are allocated

Places at special schools

Places at special schools are allocated based on the child’s special educational needs, not on distance criteria.

Places at independent or private schools

The local authority can consult with independent or private schools to see if this would be suitable but cannot agree to name a private school on your child’s education, health and care plan if a local maintained school can meet your child’s needs.

Places at Kent maintained schools

If you name a Kent maintained school as one of your preferences, the special educational needs (SEN) team will refer to the appropriate Kent SEN team as part of the formal consultation process.

Additional referrals made for your child

We will notify you if any additional referrals to schools are made or going to be made for your child.

School visits to decide on a suitable place

Some junior or primary schools, and most secondary schools will visit your child’s current school to observe and speak with the special educational needs coordinator.

They may also speak to the class teacher. Your child’s current school will be able to advise you if this is going to happen.

Appeal a school place

If you do not agree with the placement named on Section I of the EHCP you can appeal once the document has been issued as an amended final EHCP.

Details of how to appeal the named school will be included in the letter that you’ll be sent with your amended final EHCP.