Charity collection applications

The collection of money or sale of articles for the benefit of charitable purposes in any street or public place (public houses require a House to House Collection Licence) must have a permit from the council.

Street collection permits are granted in accordance with the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916.

Only one street collection permit will be issued for each town on any given day. Saturdays are particularly popular and are booked quickly. Applications must be made at least 28 days before the required collection date.

Application process

Use the following guidance to help you with the application process:

Apply online

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council by the end of the 10-day target completion period.


We have a duty to protect the public funds we administer. We may use the information you have provided to prevent and detect fraud, this information may also be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Medway Council is a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act 1998. We hold information for the purposes specified in our Data Protection Notification made to the Information Commissioner and may use this information for any of them. We may get information about you from others, or we may give information to them. If we do it we will only do so as the law permits, to check accuracy of information or prevent or detect crime. We may check information we receive about you with what is already in our records. This can include information provided by you as well as by others such as government departments and statutory agencies. We will not give information about you to anyone outside Medway Council unless the law permits us to do so.


You can contact us to make an appeal if your application has been rejected.

Failed application redress

Please contact the council in the first instance, using the details below.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the council in the first instance, using the details below.