Business rate reductions
There are reductions and reliefs available to help you with the cost of your business rates.
Your business rates will not be payable in the first three months that a property is empty, or six months for industrial properties.
You will need to pay your business rates in full after this period unless another relief applies. In most cases business rates will not be payable for unoccupied properties owned by charities or community amateur sports clubs.
Unoccupied properties will be exempt if:
- the occupation is prohibited by law
- the property is a listed building
- the property is an ancient monument
- the ratepayer is a personal representative of a deceased person
- the ratepayer is bankrupt
- the rateable value is £2,899 or below
Following the revaluation in 2017, any significant increases or reductions in the amount of business rates payable will be phased in by transitional relief until the full amount is due. Any relief you are eligible for will be automatically awarded and will show on your bill.
Small business rate relief
All occupied properties with a rateable value of £50,999 or below that are not in receipt of any mandatory relief such as charity relief will be charged using the small business multiplier. Small business rate relief is available for properties with a rateable value below £15,000 and the ratepayer occupies either:
- one property
- one main property, and other additional properties with a rateable value of £2,899 or below where the total rateable value of all properties is £19,999 or less
The relief will only be payable on the main property and you will get 100% relief if the rateable value is £12,000 or less. If the rateable values are above £12,000, the level of relief is reduced on a sliding scale up to £15,000 when no relief is payable.
Supporting small business rate relief
This will continue to be available to ratepayers with large increases in 2017/18 due to the loss of small business rate relief or rural rate relief. The relief will limit the increase in business rates to £600 for 2017/18 and restricts increases until 2021/2022.
If you qualify for the relief it will be show on your bill. We will notify qualifying businesses and automatically award relief based on the information available to us.
Pub rate relief
A discount up to £1,000 was available in 2017 to 2018 to all ratepayers who occupy public houses with a rateable value below £100,000. This relief was originally for one year only but the government has extended the relief for a further year. If you qualify for the relief it will be shown on your bill.
Local newspaper rate relief
A discount up to £1,500 per year is available for office space occupied by local newspapers for the financial year 2017/18 and 2018/19.
We will notify qualifying businesses and automatically award relief based on the information available to us.
Charity and community amateur sports club relief
If you are a registered charity or community amateur sports club (CASC), you can apply for a business rate reduction. Mandatory relief of 80% will be awarded as long as the property you occupy is only or mainly used for the purposes of the charity or club. We will also consider if you’re eligible for any discretionary relief for the remaining 20%.
If you are a non-profit making organisation you can apply for a business rate reduction of up to 100%. The level of discount awarded will depend on your aims and objectives.
Part-occupied relief (section 44A)
If part of your property is likely to be empty for a short time, for example due to the relocation of your business, you can apply for a reduction on the unoccupied part of your property. You will need to provide a plan showing the occupied and unoccupied parts and details of how long it is likely to remain empty. We will also need to inspect the property.
If you are having difficulty paying your business rates you can apply for hardship relief. Each application will be considered individually and we will only give relief if it is in the interests of Medway’s council tax payers.
Rural rate relief
You may receive 100% relief if your property has a rateable value below £8,500 and is the only one of the following in the community:
- general store
- post office
- food shop
You may also be able to receive 100% relief if your property has a reateable value below £12,500 and is a public house or petrol station.
Apply for a business rate reduction
If you have not been awarded any of the above reliefs and think you may qualify, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.