Descriptions of developments
Planning application descriptions must be:
They should identify the key parts of the proposal that require planning permission but not include irrelevant details
The following example description contains too much information and irrelevant details:
"We want to build an extension to our kitchen"
This should be changed to:
"Construction of a single storey extension to rear".
If you wish to explain or justify the proposal in more detail, this should be set out in a separate supporting letter or Planning Statement.
Below is a guide for the information that should be included in your development description for householder applications.
Include the scale and location of the proposal, for example:
- construction of a two storey extension to rear and single storey extension to side
- construction of a dormer window to front
- formation of a hip to gable roof extension together with the construction of dormer window to rear and roof lights to front to facilitate additional living accommodation within the roof space.
State the scale, purpose and location of the building, for example:
- construction of a detached double garage to rear
- construction of outbuilding for use as an annex.
State the type of access and location, for example:
- construction of a hardstanding and vehicular crossover to front.
Gates, walls and fences
State the height, materials, type of boundary treatment and location, for example:
- construction of a 2.5 metre high fence to rear boundary.
Below is a guide for the information that should be included in your development description for full applications.
State the type and number of units, for example:
- construction of 24 houses with associated bin stores.
State the number of units proposed (if known) and the matters to be considered, for example:
- outline application for residential development of land requesting consideration of layout, scale, appearance, landscape and access (delete as applicable).
Specify the matters to be considered, for example:
- application for approval of reserved matters being layout, scale, appearance, landscape and access (delete as applicable) pursuant to outline planning permission (insert outline reference number) for construction of 24 dwellings.
Change of use applications
State both the existing and proposed use. Any other key external alterations and extensions should also be included, for example:
- change use of shop (use class E) to 3 flats, single storey rear extension and external alterations.
State the scale and purpose of the building, for example:
- construction of a single storey office block for light industry and office use.
State the nature, scale and location of the proposal in relation to the existing building(s), for example:
- construction of a single storey extension to rear.
State the nature and location of the alterations, for example:
- installation of shop front.
For advertisements, you must state:
- the type of sign(s)
- the position signs will be installed on the building
- whether signs will be illuminated
- how the signs will be illuminated
- Advertisement consent application for the installation of 1 non-illuminated top and bottom sign and 1 illuminated logo panel to ATM.
Listed building consent
When a proposal includes works to a listed building the alterations and extensions that require listed building consent should be referred to within the description.
Any internal demolition works that require listed building consent should also be specified, for example:
- external and internal alterations including replacement windows, formation of door and window openings and changes to internal stairwell.
Applications for a variation or removal of condition
For these applications, you must specify the number of the relevant condition(s) and briefly describe the nature of those conditions and, in the case of variations, the proposed change(s), for example:
- variation of condition 03 (hours of opening) of planning permission (insert original reference number) to allow opening until 10pm Monday to Friday
- variation of condition 2 on planning application (insert original reference number) to allow a Minor Material Amendment to (insert detail of amendment).
Non material amendments
State the relevant planning permission and the nature of the amendment(s) proposed, for example:
- non-material amendment to planning permission (insert original reference number) to replace window with door to rear elevation.
Applications for the submission of details
State the original planning permission and relevant conditions, for example:
- details pursuant to condition 3 (acoustic assessment) and 4 (air quality assessment) on planning permission (insert original planning permission) for (insert original description).