After you've applied
Once you’ve submitted your planning application, you’ll need to wait for us to make a decision.
After you apply:
- we will validate your application and request any missing documents. You can find application requirements in our planning application checklist
- we will publicise and consult on the application
- our planning officer or Planning Committee will consider your application
If you applied on the Planning Portal you can log in to track your application.
Decisions on your planning application
The process time will vary depending on the scale of your development.
The decision timescale is:
- 8 weeks for minor works such as extensions to properties and changes of use
- 13 weeks for major works such as large commercial developments
- 16 weeks for applications accompanied by an environmental statement
If we approve your application:
- you may be ‘approved subject to conditions’ and will need to submit further information
- you can start work within the time limit as long as you follow set conditions
If we refuse your application:
- we’ll explain why we refused it
- you can send us a pre-application request to discuss the reasons we refused it
- we’ll ask you to change your proposal and submit a new application
You can appeal a planning decision if your application is unsuccessful or a decision is not made within 8 weeks (13 weeks for major developments) and we have not agreed a new deadline.
Find out how to appeal a planning decision.