You can use this page to:
- order a death certificate
- apply for a correction to a death certificate
- get a death certificate legalised for international use.
A death certificate costs £11 plus postage.
You can either have the certificate posted to you or you can collect it from Medway Register Office.
If you would like it posted, it'll be sent by second class post and you should receive it within 10 working days of payment.
If you choose to collect it, it'll be ready within 5 working days of payment (unless you do not live in the UK).
If you need a certificate urgently, use our priority service.
Who can apply
Anyone, including if you do not live in the UK, can order a death certificate if
- the death took place in Medway
- you have enough information to find the record.
If the death took place outside Medway, you can order a certificate from:
- the General Register Office
- the register office where the death took place.
To complete our online application, you’ll need to tell us:
- if the person died in Medway
- how many certificates you need
- your relationship to the person who has died
- why you need the certificate
- details from the certificate, including first and last name, name of spouse (if applicable) and their job
- date and place of death (if you do not know the full date, you'll need to know the year of death)
- if you would like the certificate sent to you or if you'll collect it (if you live in the UK)
- your contact details (we'll need an email address to send you a confirmation or to contact you if you do not live in UK).
What happens next
We'll send you a confirmation email and Medway Register Office will check to see if they hold the record.
If they hold the record, the register office will call you to take payment by card.
- get your certificate in the post within around 10 working days
- be able to collect your certificate within 5 working days.
If they do not hold the record, the register office will contact you.
If you need your certificate urgently, you can use our priority service to receive your certificate the next working day.
Your certificate will be sent by first class post or you can collect it from Medway Register Office.
Priority service applications are only accepted between 9.30am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.
Call the register office on 01634 338 899 or visit in person.
The priority service costs £35 for 1 certificate. Any extra certificates ordered at the same time for the same record will cost £11 each.
Medway Register Office cannot call you if you're not in the UK.
If they need more information about your application, the register office will email you.
If Medway Register Office hold the death record, they'll email you asking you to call to pay.
Once you have paid, the certificate will be posted to you.
You can only apply for a correction to a death certificate if:
- you registered the death
- the death was registered at Medway Register Office
- the information on the certificate was wrong at the time of registration, for example a job title.
If you did not register the death, you may be able to request a correction of you can give evidence as to why the original informant cannot make the request themselves.
You cannot apply for a correction if a change was made after the death took place.
The original record will stay the same, and the correction will be added to the margin of the register with the date it was made. Any new certificates will show both the old and new details.
How to apply
To apply, phone Medway Register Office on 01634 338 899.
During the call, they'll tell you if the mistake was made on the registration or the certificate.
If you need a registration correction, they'll tell you:
- what type of correction you'll need
- the evidence you'll need
- how much the correction will cost.
You'll then need to visit Medway Register Office with your evidence and your completed form.
You do not need to make an appointment. Medway Register Office is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
You'll need to bring your original documents or certified copies as evidence. We cannot accept photocopies.
You'll also need to pay your correction fee by card.
If you need a locally authorised correction
A locally authorised correction costs £75, which you'll pay by card at Medway Register Office. This does not include copies of the new certificate.
When you're there, the register office will check and make copies of your evidence.
If the correction is authorised, they'll make the correction within 5 working days.
If a correction is not authorised, the record cannot be changed.
If you need a General Register Office authorised correction
A General Register Office authorised correction costs £90, which you'll pay by card at Medway Register Office. This does not include copies of the new certificate.
When you're there, they'll check and make copies of your evidence and forward your information to the General Register Office to authorise.
It can take up to 25 days for the General Register Office to authorise a correction. If the correction is authorised, Medway Register Office will make the correction within 5 working days.
If a correction is not authorised, the correction cannot be made.
Medway Register Office are not able to legalise documents.
If you need a death certificate to be accepted in other countries, it'll need to be legalised by the Legislation Office.