What Medway Council will do
To help set up a walking bus, we will:
- approve the routes by carrying out a risk assessment to determine their suitability
- arrange road safety training for every walking bus volunteer in Medway
- provide high visibility tabards (subject to funding) to anyone who walks on the walking bus which enables road users to see the walking bus in motion and allows everyone to recognise who is on the bus
- issue operating guidelines to parents and volunteers, containing all of the necessary information about the walking bus (there is also a consent form for parents and children to sign)
- provide employers’ liability and public liability insurance, which covers all registered volunteers, as long as the operating guidelines are followed
- support every walking bus initiative in Medway to help improve the route to school.