All councillors receive a basic allowance to perform their duties which include:

  • preparing for and attending formal and informal meetings
  • meetings with residents
  • dealing with enquiries from residents.

The basic allowance also covers the use of a councillor's home for conducting Medway Council business.

Some councillors receive an extra allowance for any special responsibilities (SRAs) they might have as a member of the council, such as being a Cabinet member or a committee chairman.

See allowances paid to councillors by year


Councillors are allowed to claim travelling expenses for their official duties at the rates set out by His Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The rate is currently set at 45 pence per mile for the first 8,500 miles and up to 14.4 pence per mile thereafter.

Councillors are also allowed to claim expenses for caring responsibilities, either for a child under 14 or a dependent adult.

Expenses for lunch, stationery, phone calls and other routine expenses are not normally reimbursed because this is covered by the basic allowance.

Find out more about the current allowance and expenses scheme in Chapter 6 of the council's constitution.

The Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP)

The IRP regularly reviews the council's allowances and expenses scheme.

It meets on a regular basis and no one on the panel is a councillor or council employee.

Any recommendations the panel makes is based on:

  • evidence
  • comparison with other local authorities
  • interviews with councillors
  • examples of good practice.

IRP report

The council has received a report from the Independent Remuneration Panel that offers recommendations about the Members' Allowance Scheme for Medway Councillors.

The main points of recommendation are that:

  • the basic allowance paid to all councillors should continue to be index-linked to the median council staff hourly pay until May 2027
  • the levels of other special responsibility allowances should mainly stay unchanged and link to the basic allowance as shown by a percentage until May 2027
  • the benchmarks are revised so that the Cabinet Portfolio Holders is increased from 150% to 160% and the Chairpersons of Overview and Scrutiny Committees is increased from 100% to 120%
  • if the council decides to appoint an Independent Person to the Audit Committee, the role should attract an annual SRA of 10% of the basic allowance. This should be uplifted each time the basic allowance is uplifted until May 2027
  • the SRA to the Chairman of Licensing and Safety Committee and members of the Licensing Hearing Panel and Licensing 1982 Panel Hearings continue to be index-linked to the median council staff hourly pay until May 2027
  • councillors be able to claim the actual expenses incurred for childcare and dependent adult care whilst undertaking approved duties, rather than a maximum hourly rate
  • an SRA is paid to the councillor representatives on the Fostering or Adoptions Panels at the rate of the median council staff hourly rate until May 2027.

The report of the Independent Remuneration Panel will be considered at the Full Council Meeting on 24 January 2024. 

If you would like a copy of the report, contact Jane Ringham, Head of Elections and Member Services, by:

Nearer the date, you'll be able to access the agenda and papers for the council meeting.