Medway Council's constitution was updated and agreed at Council on 28 April 2016. The constitution sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures we follow to be efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by law, while others are a matter for the council to choose.
The Constitution sets out:
- Chapter 1: Summary and Explanation
- Chapter 2: Articles of the Constitution
- Chapter 3: Responsibilities for functions
- Chapter 4: Rules governing the way the council conducts its business
- Chapter 5: Codes and protocols for members and employees
- Chapter 6: Members allowance scheme
- Chapter 7: Management structure
Remote meetings protocol
From April 2020 the law allows for remote attendance at, and remote access to council meetings held on or before 7 May 2021. A remote meetings protocol has been produced which will apply to meetings taking place during the 2020/2021 municipal year. The guidance in the protocol should be read in conjunction with the council’s constitution.