The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) have reviewed the electoral arrangements in Medway.
This review included:
- the number of councillors
- the number and configuration of wards
- the number of councillors that should represent each ward.
After 2 rounds of consultation the LGBCE issued its final recommendations.
These changes will take effect for the Local and Parish elections on 4 May 2023:
- Medway Council will have 59 councillors (this is 4 more than at present)
- there will be 24 wards (this is 2 more than at present).
View the LGBCE's final report.
The changes to the wards are quite significant. View a summary of the ward changes.
Download ward maps
Download printable maps of the new wards.
Download a map of Medway showing the new wards.
If you need the maps in a different format like large print you can fill in our online form:
Request information in an accessible format
Or you can phone 01634 333 333.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 20 working days.
Local and Parish Elections 4 May 2023
The poll card letters issued to each eligible elector in the Local and Parish elections on 4 May will show the following:
- name of the ward in which they live
- name of the polling station to which they have been allocated to vote.
The ballot paper and notices at the polling station will indicate the number of councillors to be elected for the ward.
Polling districts review
Medway Council conducted a review of polling districts and polling places under the Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places (Parliamentary Elections) Regulations 2006 and amended in the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013.
At a full council meeting on 21 July 2022, the council:
- considered the recommendations of a cross-party working group
- approved the schedule of polling districts and polling places for all elections in Medway.
View the schedule of polling districts and polling places report.
Parish electoral arrangements review
The electoral arrangements in each of the parished areas in Medway have not been reviewed since 2003. And therefore, after the LGBCE review, the council have reviewed the parish areas. This review included the number and configuration of the parish wards, and the number of councillors that should represent each parish and parish ward.
After a consultation exercise across the whole of the parished areas, the council is due to consider the recommendations of a cross-party working group of councillors and officers at the meeting of Full Council on 23 February 2023.