Problems with noise

Noise is unwanted sound and can come from a number of sources such as:

  • amplified music
  • barking dogs
  • machinery
  • construction and DIY activity
  • alarms
  • transport.

We deal with a large number of noise complaints, most of which are dealt with informally. 

If this is not possible, we can take formal action. There is no set level of noise which is too loud or that will automatically result in action being taken. There is also no set time when music or any other sort of noisy activity must end.

If loud noise happens frequently, goes on for a long time or interferes with your normal activities, you may be suffering from a noise nuisance. 

Types of noise we investigate

We can investigate noise from:

  • noisy neighbours, like loud music, shouting or DIY at night
  • burglar and car alarms
  • animals, like barking dogs or crowing cockerels
  • building sites
  • pubs and clubs
  • noisy equipment in a commercial property
  • deliveries or waste collections at a commercial property.

Types of noise we do not investigate

We cannot investigate:

  • everyday household noise, such as footsteps, doors closing, vacuum cleaners, washing machines (unless unreasonable), children playing, babies crying, or talking
  • trafficaircraft or railway noise
  • noise from outdoor sports
  • noise in the street, such as vehicles left running, shouting or car horns
  • anonymous complaints
  • noise if you don't know where it is coming from.

How to complain about noise

Before you report a noise problem, try to talk to the person responsible. They may not realise they’re causing a noise problem.

If that does not work, start completing a noise nuisance diary. The diary will help us decide how to deal with the noise.

Download noise nuisance diary

Report a noise nuisance

After completing a noise nuisance diary you can make a report to the Environmental Protection team by completing our online form and attaching your diary records.

You will also need to tell us:

  • your contact details, including your address, telephone number and email address
  • the address of the property you are complaining about. We are not able to investigate anonymous complaints.

Please only raise one enquiry for each noise complaint. If you report the same noise problem many times this may increase the time it takes to respond to your initial enquiry.

Report a noise nuisance

What happens after

Your complaint will be passed to the Environmental Protection team to assess what the next action will be.

Contact will be made by email or letter if your email is not provided.