You can report light that is causing a nuisance, such as artificial lighting from a premises, under The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

This does not apply to light emitted from:

  • airports
  • harbour premises
  • railway premises
  • tramway premises
  • bus stations
  • public service vehicle operating centres
  • goods vehicle operating centres
  • lighthouses
  • prisons.

Report a problem

What you'll need

You'll need to provide the following information to report a problem with light:

  • your contact details, including your address, telephone number and email address
  • the address of the property you are complaining about. We are not able to investigate anonymous complaints.

Report a problem with light

What happens after

Your complaint will be passed to the Environmental Protection team to assess what the next action will be.

Contact will be made by email, or letter if your email is not provided.

If you're affected by lighting from your neighbours

First approach the person who owns the lighting and outline your concerns, as there may be a straightforward solution through minor adjustments to the lighting system. Often the lighting owner may not be aware that their system is causing a problem. You could ask them politely to try:

  • re-angling or partially shading the light
  • fitting a passive infra-red sensor
  • using a lower power bulb.

It might help if you can show the neighbour the effect of the light from your property.

If negotiation with your neighbour fails to bring an acceptable solution, you can use the formal route. You will need to complete our online form with details of your complaint. An officer will contact you regarding your complaint.