It is illegal to sell or repair vehicles on the public highway or other public places without the appropriate council consent.

Some mechanics and businesses use the public highway as an extension of their garages and for vehicle sales. This can cause nuisance to local residents and it takes up valuable car parking spaces. Repairing vehicles on the street can also look unsightly, lead to damage of the local environment and present a danger to passers-by.

Vehicles offered for sale on the highway without consent are liable to be seized by Medway Council. We will then begin legal proceedings against the owner for the recovery of costs.

Report illegal vehicle sales or repairs

To report illegal vehicle sale or repairs, phone 01634 333 333.

You'll need to provide the following information:

  • number of people involved
  • descriptions of vehicles involved (used or repaired)
  • how often it is occurring
  • type(s) of vehicles involved
  • numbers of vehicles for sale.

We'll investigate reports to determine whether it causes annoyance or is part of a business illegally operating on the public highway.