The Statement of Licensing Policy outlines the way the council, as the Licensing Authority, is implementing the legislation. This was approved by the full council on 26 April 2018 and came into force on 1 May 2018.

View the Statement of Licensing Policy.

Licensable activities

Under the Licensing Act 2003, you will need to apply for a licence to hold any of the following activities at the premise:

Applying for licensable activities

Depending on your intentions you will need to apply for either a Premises Licence, Club Premises Certificate or Temporary Event Notice. You may also need to hold a personal licence. 

Apply for a licence 

Making changes to a premises already licensed

See our list of licensing applications.

Understanding your licence/certificate conditions

The different licensing conditions are explained on your licence or certificate.

Licensing Enforcement

See the guidelines that officers follow to enforce licensing.

Objecting to a licensing application

A member of the public can object to a licensing application this is call making a representation. A member of the public can make a representation in relation to any licensing application for a premises in the vicinity of where you live.

More about objecting to a licensing application

Making a complaint about existing licensed premises

Before you complain, read the information on who is best to contact based on the reason for your complaint.

Make a complaint about a current licensed premises.

Licensing hearing panels and reviews

Find out more about the procedures for:

Public register

We are currently installing a new computer system which will enable us to provide a public register online. Until this is activated, you can view the public register for applications received and accepted.

The information available to you through the register is:

  • a list of premises that are licensed in the Medway area
  • details of who is the premises licence holder
  • the hours and activities authorised.

The register is in 3 parts:

For more information contact the Licensing Team by emailing or visit the Gravesham Borough Council website.

Or write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR.