Circle of Six. From left to right: Rosemary Tonks, Sarah Bonetta, Verena Holmes, Kathleen Courtney, Lorna Wing and Eileen Tirzah Garwood.
Medway Libraries are commissioning 2 books to record a community creative response to the lives, work and impact of 6 extraordinary women with a connection to Gillingham.
There will be:
- one book for children aged 7 to 16
- one book for adults aged 17 plus.
The 6 women are:
- Suffragist and peace campaigner, Dame Kathleen Courtney
- African Princess and friend to Queen Victoria, Sarah Forbes Bonetta
- pioneering psychiatrist, Dr Lorna Wing
- poet and novelist, Rosemary Tonks
- inventor and engineer, Verena Holmes
- artist Eileen Tirzah Garwood.
To find out more about each of these women, read the Circle of Six women biographies.
You can also watch our Circle of Six talks on our YouTube channel to find out more about their lives.
What to include
The writing must be your original work inspired by the lives and work of these women.
The writing can be in the form of:
Submissions can be either typed, handwritten or scanned. All submissions must be in English.
For inspiration, you can come along to our free Verena Holmes creative writing workshop at Gillingham Community Hub on 1 October 2022.
If you have any questions or need help with your submission, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ages 7 to 13 years:
- 200 words for poetry
- 500 words for anything else.
Ages 14 to 16 years:
- 40 lines for poetry
- 1,500 words for anything else.
Adults aged 17 years plus:
- 60 lines for poetry
- 3,000 words for anything else.
By submitting a piece of work, you agree to the terms and conditions.
Find out more about how to submit your work.